Monday, June 2, 2008

June 2 Log

Brit-Bound


Issue #25…

Our Final Meeting Before Takeoff

June 29, 3 p.m. 1st Presbyterian in Jacksonville…

A Bit More News…

From the responses I received re: London theatre, here are the three picks I sent Passports in order of preference:

Our picks:

1) Billy Elliot

2) Jersey Boys

3) Avenue Q

Frankly, I’d settle for my 20th pick in London theatre… and of course you’ll have a chance to buy tickets on your own to attend theatre on our other night in London. Kathy will get back to me on whether we'll get our first choice.

And a Special Tid-bit:

It’s not customary to know our courier’s name before we arrive at the airport, but I asked Kathy Bernard at Passports if she could pretty please 1) do her best to get us a great one, and 2) send me his name. She did.

We’ll be guided around the British Isles by Lawrence (Larry) Alexander. She says he’s forty-ish, he’s good at herding large groups with a sense of humor, and is a delightful guy. Her words to describe him: “Calm and Competent.” Who could ask for more?

The Official Weight Limit

I also learned from Kathy that we’ll be flying Ryan Air from Dublin to Scotland AND the luggage weight limit for Ryan is 33 pounds. That’s a three and a three. Any overage and you’ll have to pay extra. This varies from the 44 pound recommendation in the Passports information, but this applies to International carriers only. So… Toss out that extra pair of socks!

At The Risk of…

…losing a traveler, I thought I’d pass along this great email from Tammy Winters…

OH, I think the whole trip is going to be soooooo much fun!!! I can hardly wait! I have ordered my QVC carryon that Mary Jo and Bonnie told me that I needed. I plan to work on my new camera this week so that I can make it work for the trip! I purchased some new britches yesterday.(darn, I didn't loose the pounds I wanted to for this trip.... Maybe I need to try a month of Nutri System and I will be fine by July 3rd! I was really surprised that the flights are such good times!!! Catch ya later. Tammy

An Aging Group

We are now officially an “older” group as we no longer have high school students among our traveling ranks…Congrats to Erich, Wendy, and Hannah on their graduation from Triopia.

Name Dropping

Have you ever found yourself in a group of folks who are all talking about the same thing and you have no idea what’s being discussed? I’ll warn you… you might be in danger of that at three stops on our journey.

When in Dublin you’ll hear the name of James Joyce tossed up, down, and sideways across the river. If you’re not up on Mr. Joyce, a quick Google search will bring you up to date. His landmark novel, Ulysses, is usually named the best novel ever written in English. And although I was an English major, I’ve still never met anyone who’s actually read the whole thing. I’ve tried twice. If it’s in the heavenly library, I’ll give it a third try.

In Edinburgh, the local literary hero is Robert Burns. Again, a Google will bring you up to date on the Scottish poet. He wrote much more than Auld Lang Syne.

And of course when in Stratford, I assume you know who’ll they’ll be talking about..especially since the town probably wouldn’t be there were it not for young Bill.

A Wee Bit of Mischief from Kay W..

Mrs. Donovan was walking down O'Connell Street in Dublin when she met up
with Father Flaherty.
The Father said, 'Top o' the mornin' to ye! Aren't ye Mrs. Donovan and
didn't I marry ye and yer hoosband 2 years ago?'
She replied, 'Aye, that ye did, Father.'
The Father asked, 'And be there any wee little ones yet?'
She replied, 'No, not yet, Father.'
The Father said, 'Well now, I'm going to Rome next week and I'll light a
candle for ye and yer hoosband.'
She replied, 'Oh, thank ye, Father.'
They then parted ways.
Some years later they met again.
The Father asked, 'Well now, Mrs. Donovan , how are ye these days?'
She replied, 'Oh, very well, Father!'
The Father asked, 'And tell me, have ye any wee ones yet?'
She replied, 'Oh yes, Father! Three sets of twins and 4 singles, 10 in
all!'
The Father said, 'That's wonderful! How is yer loving hoosband doing?'
She replied, 'E's gone to Rome to blow out yer candle.'

(This is one of the world’s few clean Irish jokes. ..kb)

By the Numbers…

Conde Nast Traveler came up with this statistic that might be a comfort to any trembling travelers. If you fly around the world this summer, you will be 18 times safer than your friends who stay at home.

That settles it…I’m leaving home right now.

No comments: